OUR MISSION: Tell the world about the Olympic movement and Lake Placid's rich winter sports' history in order to promote the values of Olympism to the broadest possible audience.
In 1974, shortly after the 1980 Olympic Winter Games were awarded to Lake Placid, members of the community decided to create a collection of materials pertaining to the Games for future use in a museum/research facility. At the end of the 1980 Olympic Winter Games, the Olympic and Winter Sports Museum, a private, not-for-profit museum, was opened at the former Austria House in Lake Placid.
In 1981, the New York State Legislature created the NYS Olympic Regional Development Authority (ORDA) to manage the 1980 Olympic venues and to ensure their use by the public for sporting, recreational, and educational purposes.
The museum entered into a facility management contract with ORDA in August 1994, and a museum board was formed to establish and oversee the implementation of policies for the museum's governance and operation. Then the 1932 & 1980 Lake Placid Winter Olympic Museum opened to the public. This private, not-for-profit group received a provisional charter from the NYS Board of Regents in April 1995. In November 1996, the museum board entered into an agreement with ORDA to define the roles they would both play regarding the museum, and to ensure that it was operated in accordance with professional museum standards. In October 1998, the museum was granted 501 (c) 3 tax-exempt status by the IRS. On October 11, 2000, the Town of North Elba gave the collection to the 1932 & 1980 Lake Placid Winter Olympic Museum, allowing the museum to obtain an Absolute Charter from the Board of Regents of The University of the State of New York Education Department. Absolute Charter number 23,071 was granted to the museum on December 15, 2000.
The museum received the 2005 Olympic Cup, the oldest award given by the International Olympic Committee, the first time a museum had received the award. The Cup, which originated in 1906, is given for recognition of an institution or association with general reputation for merit and integrity that has been active in service of sport and contributed to the development of the Olympic Movement. The award was accepted on behalf of the people of the Lake Placid region.
In August 2011, because the collection had grown to represent more than the two Games held in Lake Placid, the museum changed its name to the Lake Placid Olympic Museum.
Board of Trustees
Matthew Norfolk, President - Lake Placid
Angie Snye, Vice-President - Tupper Lake
Jeff McLean, Treasurer - Saranac Lake
MaryLou Brown, Secretary - Lake Placid
Thomas Broderick - Lake Placid
Cora Clark - Lake Placid
Sean Donovan - Lake Placid
Greg Gallacher - Saranac Lake
Kari Hoffman - Lake Placid
William Kissel - Lake Placid
Brooks Reynolds - Lake Placid
Banner photo: LPOM